As this blog is “A Gen X Point of View” in 2022 from time to time I am going to do some “generational” specific posts. This one is an homage to the 80’s and my generation. Any of my readers who are 40+ should be able to identify with some of these. For those of you who are 50+ you’ll get all of them. My Gen Z kids laugh at me from time to time when I tell them I used to have to get up to change the channel on the TV because it had a dial. They don’t get it….
So what are some experiences that your Gen X friends have had that the new Gens haven’t? Take a look.
- A Rotary Phone: Now some of our new friends might MIGHT have had a push button phone but few if any of them have ever had to use a rotary phone. You can put phone booths in this category too. Remember when there were public phones all over the city? Got a dime?
- Playing records: Now it’s possible that some of our young friends have a record player for nostalgia but for many of us that’s all we had before things really opened up in the 80’s with Cassettes and CD’s. Maybe you had an 8 Track player but most of us had record players. I still have my original “Thriller” record, do you?
- A computer free home: That’s right no PC’s. No smart phones, no internet, no Wi-Fi…. Can you believe it? PC’s weren’t a thing until the 80’s and even then most people didn’t have them. The most electronic thing in your house was the TV and that was still using the same tech from the 50’s. Now it changed in the 80’s but many of us grew up without them.
- WW I Veterans: That’s right, when we were kids they were still around. Now not every Gen Xer met a WWI vet but many of us did as back in the day you went to parade’s. It’s also possible that your grandparents (or a member of your family) was in that war. Yes they were old but many were still functioning well.
- Gender Specific Classes: Yes you heard me correctly. Back in the day we had classes like home economics and shop class. Each was designed for females and males respectively and you were auto enrolled in those based on your gender. It didn’t matter if you wanted to take it, or the other class or not. LOL imagine that today….
Being a Latchkey Kid
Buying cigarettes and booze for your parent with a note
No bike helmets
Fake wood on cars
Lady Dianna and Prince Charles Wedding
Making a mix tape
Hanging out at an Arcade
Thanks for coming by and supporting my blog I really appreciate it. Want to see another post like this one? Click here.